Subject: ftp.netbsd.org upgrades and contributions requested
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Michael Graff <explorer@flame.org>
List: current-users
Date: 05/26/2001 09:09:58
Greetings.

As some of you may know, I've spent some time and a good dead of
money making ftp.netbsd.org a better machine.  While some
disk balancing is still needed, I think it's time to ask
for contributions to help offset the cost.

I bought:

	2 * 36 G U 160 SCSI disks,
	2 * U 160 controllers,
	2 * U 160 swappable cartridges

None of the original disks were removed, and are all on one of
the newer controllers.  The new fast disks are on the other.
Putting them on the same one slows everything down to 40 Mhz.

My cost, including tax but excluding parts I had lying around,
totals $1720.22 USD.  I'm asking for assistance from the
users of the machine -- you.  I'm planning on contributing
as well, of course.

Here's the plan:

	If I get enough to pay it all (including my contribution)
	I'll be happy.  :)

	If I get more, I'll contribute the extra to The NetBSD
	Foundation.

	If I get a lot more, I'll buy one (or two) new disks and
	set up a RAID-5 array for the box.  That will be really
	nice...

I'm collecting money via my PayPal account.  To send me cash,
send it to explorer-paypal@flame.org.  If paypal asks for
shipping address or something strange like that, just enter whatever
you wish.

If, when you sign up, you use my explorer-paypal@flame.org address.
Any referral bonuses I get will be included in the pool.

If you'd rather not use PayPal, you can mail a check to:

	Michael Graff
	950 Charter Street
	Redwood City, CA  94063
	USA

Please drop me an email if you're going to do this.

Note:  The contribution is not tax exempt as far as I know, since
TNF (the ultimate owner of the hardware) is not a 501(c)(3)
organization as far as I know.

--Michael