Subject: netbsd-users (was: Re: A release-users list)
To: Alistair Crooks , John Hawkinson <jhawk@MIT.EDU>
From: Richard Rauch <rauch@eecs.ukans.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 05/19/2001 12:34:00
> netbsd-users was, I understood, a general purpose "why are things
> done this way?" kind of list, or "is there an LVM manager for NetBSD?"
> kind of general-purpose list.

 /~~~

netbsd-users:

This is a general purpose forum for all NetBSD users, regardless of
platform. [...] Questions or comments about the maintenance or design of
NetBSD itself [...] aren't appropriate to this list, and are better voiced
in a more narrowly focused technical list.

 \___

I don't remember how the list was defined when I first read it.  After
some mailing-list discussion, it was agreed that netbsd-users was to
become a general-purpose chat list (completely non-technical), as I
recall.

I think that netbsd-help is probably a much better list, then, for the
kinds of questions that you suggest.

The full description in MailingLists doesn't exactly agree with how I
remember the list being refocused a few years ago.  I don't know if my
memory errs, or if the description wasn't correctly updated---or if the
description/focus has been further revised since then.  Based on my
memory, however, I'd think that the only sorts of questions for
netbsd-users would be non-technical matters, such as user groups.  Or,
another topic that would be ideally suited to netbsd-users would be a
thread about creating a new mailing list.  (ahem)

  "I probably don't know what I'm talking about." --rauch@eecs.ukans.edu