Subject: Re: A release-users list
To: Richard Rauch <rauch@eecs.ukans.edu>
From: Chris Pinnock <cjep@fawlty.net>
List: current-users
Date: 05/18/2001 06:55:58
On Thu, May 17, 2001 at 02:35:49PM -0500, Richard Rauch wrote:
> But, unlike -current, -release contains changes that are relatively stable
> and are destined to appear in the next release (correct?).

Relatively stable. Sometimes the tree gets broken. Other times there are
caveats such as having to rebuild the compiler first (e.g. going from
1.4.2 to 1.4.3 using sources).

> I would suggest that if release-users is created, it should have a more
> narrow focus.  Perhaps something along the following lines:
>
>     A forum for announcing features included in -release, as well as for
>     discussing technical issues in tracking the -release branch.

Having pondering on this overnight, I think your suggestion is good.
(Although potentially we could have more than one release branch.)

cheers,
--
Chris