Subject: Re: CVS commit: basesrc
To: NetBSD-current Discussion List <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
List: current-users
Date: 05/16/2001 19:02:54
On Wed, May 16, 2001 at 05:45:44PM -0400, Greg A. Woods wrote:
> [ On Wednesday, May 16, 2001 at 17:28:11 (-0400), Thor Lancelot Simon wrote: ]
> > Subject: Re: CVS commit: basesrc
> >
> > Yeah, unless, let's say, the shutdown script for sshd kills your login
> > session before the shutdown script for oracle fails to stop the database
> > and hangs your system forever.
>
> Why do you have a shudown script for sshd?  It's not that way by default
> and it should not be!

Oh, stop smoking crack, would you?  It doesn't have to be sshd that dies,
and it doesn't even have to be the case that you lose the connection (or
are unable to interrupt shutdown's eternal wait) because of something that
shutdown itself did.  It only has to be possible that you _can_ be unable
to tell shutdown to stop waiting forever, and that's certainly the case.

I am glad to see that you've now told me that I have it completely backwards.
I will take this (as most reasonable people around here seem to) as pretty
good evidence that my original idea was probably just about right.

Thor