Subject: Re: A release-users list
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: current-users
Date: 05/16/2001 09:23:18
On Wed, 16 May 2001, Chris Pinnock wrote:

> What do people think about having a release-users list? It's purpose
would
> be similar to current-users except that it would apply to the release
> branches.

Before I post to current-users about a 1.5.1_BETA problem, I usually try
to look in the cvs (via web) for my particular issue to see if it has been
changed in -current. If it is hasn't, then most likely the issue applies
to current-users as well.

But then if has been fixed, then I can see that there should be a mailing
list to discuss it (for non-current users).

Also, sometimes I see people request that -current fixes be added to 1-5
releases. (What is the correct forum to request or discuss that -- other
than send-pr?)

I could see that having a release-users list would be a good idea. The
list description needs to be clear.

> (One could further and have specific release branch lists: a 1-4-users
> list and a 1-5-users list (and even a 1-3-users list)).

That seems better than just release-users because it is more focused. But
over time, you'd have numerous of these lists. Since the lists seem low
traffic anyways, starting with just one list should be fine.

   Jeremy C. Reed
   http://www.reedmedia.net/