Subject: Re: Food for thought.
To: NetBSD-current Discussion List <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: current-users
Date: 05/11/2001 00:51:12
[ On Thursday, May 10, 2001 at 14:10:29 (-0700), Greywolf wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: Food for thought.
>
> First, if you want to talk prior art, BSD was there first.  Remember,
> Berkeley came up with the concept of the pty.  SysV didn't incorporate
> them until they incorporated networking (also originally by BSD).

I think that's not what Todd meant by "prior art".  The first
implementation of something doesn't always, and sometimes only rarely,
defines the "prior art" in the field.

Note also that the first implmentation of some idea is rarely the ideal
one.  (Look at mpx(2) or pk(4) in V7, for example....)

--
							Greg A. Woods