Subject: Re: Journaling FS, Nth pass, I'm sure...
To: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
From: gabriel rosenkoetter <gr@eclipsed.net>
List: current-users
Date: 05/09/2001 15:01:12
On Mon, May 07, 2001 at 11:04:02AM -0700, Greywolf wrote:
> Now I am aware that ReiserFS is heavily ext2fs (i.e. L.*nux), but do we
> have (planned) anything similar for ffs?

At the FreeBSD BOF at the LISA conference in New Orleans this past
fall, Kirk McKusick was talking about some journaling FS (which he
had running on a Sony Vaio he had brought along) that he was working
on for FreeBSD. I don't remember the details, but I expect information
would be readily available over in the FreeBSD mailing list archives.
I distantly recall something about its disagreeing with softdeps,
but it was quite a while ago.

> I don't count LFS because you can't really boot from it reliably without
> jumping through some (IMO) ridiculous hoops.

Hrm. Why would you want to boot from a non-ffs partition? / only
really needs to be 250 MBs large...

But your point about a non-bootable file system is still valid. Want
to take a whack at fixing it? :^>

       ~ g r @ eclipsed.net