Subject: Journaling FS, Nth pass, I'm sure...
To: BSD Current Users <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
List: current-users
Date: 05/07/2001 11:04:02
Are there any plans to implement a journaling/logging FS which does not
dynamically rearrange the layout of the filesystem every time it runs
a cleaner?

I know that ReiserFS is more or less out of the question, whether for
reasons of GNUness/lack of code quality/cannot-be-whacked-to-run-with-ffs/
political (i.e., "we don't like the fellow that did it").  Lack of code
quality seems acceptable to me for a reason not to include it, if in fact
that is true (I'm not a judge of code quality, so I can neither confirm nor
deny it).  The political reason seems beyond the range of silly to me.
GNUness, well, how to solve that?  LKMing isn't feasible for it for a myriad
of reasons, the most forefront of which seems to be that you can't LKM if
the K isn't L'd yet!  The other alternative is to import the code for it
somewhere into the gnu/ portion of the tree and disable it in a GENERIC
kernel, I'd guess, but that makes disaster recovery nigh impossible if
you're craz^H^H^H^Hdaring enough to put such an FS as a boot/root FS.
Nonetheless, I know quite a few people who swear by ReiserFS.

Now I am aware that ReiserFS is heavily ext2fs (i.e. L.*nux), but do we
have (planned) anything similar for ffs?

I don't count LFS because you can't really boot from it reliably without
jumping through some (IMO) ridiculous hoops.

				--*greywolf;
--
*BSD: demonic power.