Subject: audiorecord using -P fails
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: current-users
Date: 05/02/2001 09:00:30
$ audiorecord -s 44100 -P 16 -t 0:10 test
audiorecord: failed to reset audio info: Invalid argument

Whenever I use the -P (bits per sample) option with 16, 24 or 32, I
receive this "failed" message (and audiorecord quits). It works fine with
"8".

This is NetBSD 1.5.1_BETA under i386.
/usr/bin/audiorecord: $NetBSD: crt0.c,v 1.11 2000/06/14 22:52:49 cgd Exp $
(I didn't see any info about my problem in the changelog for newer
versions.)

I see that the manual page says: "Any attempt to use an audio device
beyond it's capabilities will result in an error."

I guess my card only supports 8 bits per sample.
 eap0 at pci0 dev 11 function 0: Ensoniq AudioPCI (rev. 0x01)
 eap0: interrupting at irq 12
 audio0 at eap0: full duplex, mmap, independent
 midi0 at eap0: AudioPCI MIDI UART

Any suggestions on what the error message should say (so it will be more
useful)?

   Jeremy C. Reed
   http://www.reedmedia.net/