Subject: Re: PPP over Ethernet integrated into -current
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Geoff Wing <mason@primenet.com.au>
List: current-users
Date: 04/30/2001 00:24:20
Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de> typed:
: I have just commited an in-kernel implementation of PPP over Ethernet (see
: RFC 2516) to -current.

Couple of things:
1) You need at least
	pseudo-device pppoe 1	# or 2 or something
in your kernel config file, otherwise pppoectl will give an error code
4294967295 (or similar).  Don't know where/why the negative number is
being returned to userland.

2) Haven't got the netstart.local script working yet.  Didn't have
much time to try this morning.  Will try again tonight (or in a month).
Running pppoectl after setup was giving (all from memory)
	pppoe: phase=establish
	       lcp timeout: 1.000 s
but no mention of myauthname, etc.
However running it manually got it reporting correctly.  Don't know if
it's because I give my network interface an IP address (thus allowing
access to the DSL modem) or something.
However, I still didn't get a link going.  It was reporting:
	pppoe0: lcp illegal down in state initial

Regards,
--
Geoff Wing : <gcw@pobox.com>
Rxvt Stuff : <gcw@rxvt.org>