Subject: Re: (Off topic) Need help getting Samba to work
To: Chris Pinnock <cjep@fawlty.net>
From: Laine Stump <lainestump@rcn.com>
List: current-users
Date: 04/28/2001 12:20:56
Chris Pinnock <cjep@fawlty.net> writes:

> On Fri, Apr 27, 2001 at 05:48:09PM -0700, Paul Goyette wrote:
> > ...  I've done as much debugging as I can, but it seems that my
> > Win2K laptop just closes the tcp connection to the server, right
> > after Samba replies with its "negotiate protocol reply".
>
> Are you using Samba 2.2 (which has some Win2K support)? Apparently,
> Samba 2.0.* doesn't work so well with 2K.

I believe that's just when you're dealing with a Win2k PDC (Primary
Domain Controller). If you're just using normal "local machine"-based
usernames and passwords, everything should work just fine (works for
me here), with one piece of preparation:

All MS OSes after about WinNT 4.0 SP1 (ie just about everything except
the original Win95) by default refuse to connect to a server that
requires cleartext passwords. By default, Samba uses cleartext
passwords. To make any of these OSes connect as client to a Samba
server, you must do one of the following two:

1) Enable encrypted passwords for your Samba server, and
   setup/populate an smbpasswd file. See the file
   docs/textdocs/ENCRYPTION.txt in the Samba distribution for details.

2) Enable plaintext passwords on the client. double click on the
   appropriate *_PlainPassword.reg (in your case, the Win2000 one) to
   update a key in the registry (a dialog will pop up saying that it
   has been successfully changed), then reboot the client.