Subject: Re: OpenSSL upgrade does not bump minor version of shared libs
To: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
From: Olaf Seibert <rhialto@polderland.nl>
List: current-users
Date: 04/26/2001 17:54:57
On Thu 26 Apr 2001 at 10:18:57 -0500, Frederick Bruckman wrote:
> Well, FORCE_PKG_REGISTER leaves a mess, but you must know that, of
> course.

I do, and I've had to clean it up already a few times I think. It is
kind of useful if you want to keep older versions of shared libs around
when you don't want to recompile "everything", and that sort of thing.

> I'd recommend that you reinstall the binary packages that you
> thoughtfully made and saved when you built and installed the packages.
> (Too late?)

I've been looking for an easy way to do it later, yes. Binary packages
often seems to require just a bit more than is saved in /var/db/pkg or
is given in the pkgsrc directory. It would be acceptable if a full
recompilation is required, but "package" depends on "install" and
actually uses something that is built then, and I discovered that faking
it is not (always) easy/possible. Or maybe I just didn't look far
enough. And anyway it's been a while and I have forgotten the exact
details already and it may be different now anyway...

Anyway, making a binary package out of just an installed package could
also be useful for including local configuration.

> Current pkg_add also has an option to add (update) an
> already installed package, but I'm not sure if that helps you for
> pkgsrc builds.

If only an update would not delete everything first... but I'm glad that
an interrupted update can be sanely restarted, that is such an
improvement already :-)

> Frederick
-Olaf.
--
___ Olaf 'Rhialto' Seibert - rhialto@polder --Soep van de dag, wat zal dat zijn
\X/ land.nl     --wat kan dat wezen, beter maar het ergste vrezen -Boy Bensdorp