Subject: Re: bug in NFS_V2_ONLY option
To: None <>
From: Ben Harris <>
List: current-users
Date: 04/24/2001 00:18:41
In article <> you write:
>(followup to myself...)
>>Here are the results:
>>kernel with NFS_V2_ONLY option:
>>        mount_nfs -2 ...   works
>>        mount_nfs -3 ...   doesn't work, bug appears
>>kernel without NFS_V2_ONLY option:
>>        mount_nfs -2 ...   works
>>        mount_nfs -3 ...   works
>After looking at this again after some sleep, I've come to the
>conclusion that the bug isn't in the kernel code, but in mount_nfs.
>It generates a v3 mount even if the kernel doesn't understand v3
>(NFS_V2_ONLY). One thing that then fails seems to be the getcwd()

Ah.  I'd hoped I could get away without having to teach mount_nfs about
NFS_V2_ONLY.  Clearly I was wrong.  I suspect this means that either mount()
needs to fail if mount_nfs passes a version the kernel doesn't support, or
there needs to be a way for mount_nfs to ask the kernel what version it
prefers (or probably both).

If anyone wants to sort out a fix for this, I'd be grateful.  I'm rather
busy with ARM stuff at the moment.

Portmaster, NetBSD/arm26               <URL:>