Subject: Re: Source for 1.5.1_BETA ?
To: Chris Gilbert <chris@paradox.demon.co.uk>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
List: current-users
Date: 04/23/2001 11:03:05
On Mon, 23 Apr 2001, Chris Gilbert wrote:

> On Monday 23 April 2001  8:17 am, Mike Cheponis wrote:
> > How can I get system source for the 1.5.1_BETA snapshot?  I know how to do
> > this for the 1.5T snapshot, but not for 1.5.1_BETA.
>
> If you're using CVS, you can take a copy of your existing CVS tree (well you
> could use the same tree, but you'll loose your copy of current then), and use
> the -r tag to update to make it sync to 1.5, eg:
> cvs -z2 update -PdA -r netbsd-1-5

Close. That would be the source for the current state for 1.5.1_BETA,
not the exact source the snapshot was built against. That's probably
about the best you can do. For a current snapshot, you could use the
"-D" option, with the contents of the file "SOURCE_DATE" as an
argument. The problem with time-travelling on a branch, is that the -D
and -r options are stored in the same place, so they're mutually
exclusive, so including them both leads to "undefined behavior".

> (-A might be over zealous, but it makes sure that any existing tags are
> removed.)

Yes. Often files are accidently checked into the tree with a "-kk"
flag, and then later fixed, but the "-kk" flag is sticky, so if you
check out a file in between, you'll fail to clear the flag (without
"-A"), through no fault of your own.  Also, if you mix "-D", and "-r"
tags, it seems to do want you want, at first, but then not so for
later "cvs update"'s. The only way to be sure what you're getting is
to use the "-A" flag.

> Once that's done you can track 1.5.x as normal with cvs -z2 update -Pd

For the same reason as above, I'd recommend always using "-A -rnetbsd-1-5".

Also, I find "-z?" only helps for a checkout, or when there's been a
major churn, with lots of files to download. For incremental updates,
it's faster without it. (Yes, I'm behind a modem.) Checking out the
whole tree over a modem is abominably slow, anyway -- it's probably
quicker to download a 1.5 tarball and convert it.

Frederick