Subject: Re: bug in NFS_V2_ONLY option
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Bernd Sieker <bsieker@freenet.de>
List: current-users
Date: 04/22/2001 22:43:00
On 22.04.01, 22:20:38, Christian Groessler wrote:

> BTW, shouldn't "mount_nfs -3" return an error if the server doesn't
> support v3?

Depends on whether the mountd or the nfsd supports v3 or not.

For a long time most Linux distriibutions had the totally useless
setup that the mountd understood v3, but the nfsd did not. Thus NetBSD
clients would happily mount their filesystems using v3, but fail
miserably when trying to access them.

Linux clients, of course, never noticed this, being only v2-capable
themselves.

This may have changed in newer versions, but I have not touched Linux
in a long time (for anything other than installing and tar'ing-up
StarOffice 5.2).

Which reminds me again, kudos to all the nfs-wizards in the NetBSD
team, it performs exceptionally well, I sometimes get a sustained
1.1MB/s over a 10Mbps interface. Great job!

--
Bernd Sieker

A _Real_ Operating System for _Real_ Hackers.
		-- Greywolf