Subject: kern/12591 (1.5.1_BETA panic in reboots), but in a severe stage !!
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Markus W Kilbinger <kilbi@rad.rwth-aachen.de>
List: current-users
Date: 04/21/2001 13:43:38
Hi!

Since upgrading to 1.5.1_BETA I get regular panics during
shutdowns/reboots (!) on several (3) different (all with nfs
client/server, some with raidframe, one with running ipf/ipnat) i386
machines. The booting itself works (despite the time consuming fsck
and raid reconstruct stuff) fine, also the normal running.

The panic message looks like the one in:

  http://mail-index.netbsd.org/netbsd-bugs/2001/04/10/0000.html

savecore simply says 'reboot after panic: trap', gdb with kernel core
dump semms not quite helpfull:

> $ gdb netbsd.1
> GNU gdb 4.17
> welcome to change it and/or distribute copies of it under certain conditions.
> This GDB was configured as "i386--netbsd"...(no debugging symbols found)...
> (gdb) target kcore netbsd.1.core
> panic: trap
> can not access 0xe4cc1bac, invalid translation (invalid PTE)
> can not access 0xe4cc1bac, invalid translation (invalid PTE)
> Cannot read ebx, esi, and edi.
> (gdb) bt
> can not access 0xe4cc1bac, invalid translation (invalid PTE)
> can not access 0xe4cc1bac, invalid translation (invalid PTE)
> Cannot read ebx, esi, and edi.

-> I would raise the severity of this problem to critical.

Could somebody fix this, please...

How can I contribute?

Markus.