Subject: Re: rc.d network vs NETWORK
To: Luke Mewburn <lukem@wasabisystems.com>
From: Kevin Sullivan <ksulliva@psc.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 04/20/2001 14:56:48
--==_Exmh_76936928P

On Fri, 20 Apr 2001 11:34:39 +1000, Luke Mewburn says
>It's not used in the base rc.d scripts because of my stylistic
>preferences (some people disagree); I felt that if we started using
>BEFORE in the base rc.d scripts it would end up being abused and
>potentially make it harder to debug.

I find that BEFORE is very useful when you need to squeeze a local rc.d
file into a very specific place in the boot sequence; otherwise you have to
modify standard rc.d files to REQUIRE the new one, and it gets ugly
quickly.

/etc/rc should look in /etc/rc.d.local/ or somesuch for local rc.d files.
Updating /etc during upgrades is already much easier than it used to be,
but seperating out local rc.d files would be better still.

	-Kevin

--==_Exmh_76936928P

-----BEGIN PGP MESSAGE-----
Version: 2.6.2

iQCVAwUBOuCGcH4qeMKIUCpVAQHWZQQAj+2/plWHQwp8+2CXj+VbTE7tVID+JsTC
v70zsWWNBO+4B61PO3l/CKiYo59KI+KvmmR8TZEfatQITLzK/Wg5GXkjVb+QNoes
PfKBeH/K7+z5qEntZuI8BFPovNlqmJh4zFnsIJvqhmn95NBJYFuLNi+Ub2aedcCQ
HKygtqRjbck=
=zg1T
-----END PGP MESSAGE-----

--==_Exmh_76936928P--