Subject: Re: problems with siop(4) and various SCSI devices....
To: NetBSD-current Discussion List <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
List: current-users
Date: 04/20/2001 19:19:09
On Thu, Apr 19, 2001 at 01:58:18AM -0400, Greg A. Woods wrote:
> I finally got around to playing with some older ST43400N drives on my
> development server.  I attached them to the same bus where I have my
> Exabyte 210 library and its Eliant 820 drive.  Here's how it all probes
> with my 2001/03/24 kernel on i386 (the card is an ASUS PCI SC875):
>
> | siop0 at pci0 dev 14 function 0: Symbios Logic 53c875 (ultra-wide scsi)
> | siop0: using on-board RAM
> | siop0: interrupting at irq 15
> | scsibus1 at siop0: 16 targets, 8 luns per target
> | scsibus1: waiting 2 seconds for devices to settle...
> | siop0: alloc newcdb at PHY addr 0x1b000
> | siop0: target 0 using tagged queuing

I guess this is with -current or 1.5.1_BETA

> [...]
>
> Does/can the driver spin down disks when they're not mounted/open?

No yet, although support for this should be easy to add to scsictl

> The timeouts for spinning up these massive old disks seem a little low
> too, though like I say they (or one) may be a bit flakey.

The timeout seems to be 60s, should be enouth ... maybe one of the
drive has problem spining up

> Sometimes it takes a lot of persuasion to bring all the drives back
> online after a reset -- sometimes I have to power them down and run
> "scsictl identify" on each in succession, and sometimes I need to repeat
> the whole process several times over.
>
> Unfortunately this driver doesn't work very well with the EXB-210.
> Amanda tries to find the correctly labeled tape and causes this:
>
> | siop0: target 4 now synchronous at 5.0Mhz, offset 15
> | DMA IRQ: bus fault dma fifo empty, DSP=0x3c2b4 DSA=0xffffffff: siop0: current DSA invalid
> | siop0: scsi bus reset
> | cmd 0xc0904a40 (target 5:0) in reset list
> | cmd 0xc0904a40 (status 2) about to be processed
>
> Unfortunately any time the bus is reset and Amanda is running I get tons
> of these while the library finds out where all the tapes are again:
>
> | ch0(siop0:5:0):  Check Condition on CDB: 0xa5 00 00 56 00 52 00 08 00 00 00 00
> |     SENSE KEY:  Not Ready
> |      ASC/ASCQ:  Logical Unit Is in Process Of Becoming Ready
>
> Now I do have "options SCSIVERBOSE" and "options DEBUG", but this is a
> little much -- it's *NOT* an error!!!
>
> In any case eventually the tape comes online again:
>
> | siop0: target 4 now synchronous at 5.0Mhz, offset 15
>
> but the "not ready" noise continues while the library counts its tapes....

I have issues like this too with amanada on a 1.3.3 system
Maybe the ch driver should wait a bit an retry the command in this case ...
much easier to do in the thorpej_scsipi branch than with the old code :)