Subject: Re: rc.d network vs NETWORK
To: Patrick Welche <prlw1@newn.cam.ac.uk>
From: Luke Mewburn <lukem@wasabisystems.com>
List: current-users
Date: 04/20/2001 11:34:39
On Thu, Apr 19, 2001 at 08:35:18PM +0100, Patrick Welche wrote:
> More on rc.d (I have read rcorder(8) and rc(8) honest :-) )
> In such a script the 4 allowed keys are REQUIRE PROVIDE BEFORE KEYWORD.
> REQUIRE and PROVIDE are self explanatory. It seems that KEYWORD defines a
> keyword so that "rcorder -k keyword" looks only at the files containg
> "keyword". What does BEFORE do? (Is there more documentation that I'm
> overlooking?)

Allows insertion of a dependency (such as a third-party script)
into the sequence `before' the given dependency, so that you don't
have to edit the target script.

It's not used in the base rc.d scripts because of my stylistic
preferences (some people disagree); I felt that if we started using
BEFORE in the base rc.d scripts it would end up being abused and
potentially make it harder to debug. Others argue otherwise, but I
think at this point it's a moot point. It's just like writing
perl scripts; there's N ways to solve the problem and it's about
personal style. :-)