Subject: Re: wscons fonts (80x50 mode)
To: Mark White <mark.white@st-edmund-hall.oxford.ac.uk>
From: Rick Byers <RickB@BigScaryChildren.net>
List: current-users
Date: 04/18/2001 11:18:37
On Wed, 18 Apr 2001, Mark White wrote:

> Rick Byers writes:
> > wsfontload -N ibm -h 8 -e ibm /usr/share/wscons/fonts/vt220l.808
> > wsconscfg -t 80x50 7
> > echo testing > /dev/ttyE7
> >
> > The characters are cut-off, i.e. still 8x16 fonts in an 80x50
> > display.  Any ideas where I can look for the cause?  Does anyone else have
> > this working?
>
> Are you using an ATI vid card of some sort?  There are some
> known issues there (IIRC, NetBSD design and Rage chipset
> flaws combine such that it's only currently possible to use
> font slot 0).

Ah - Yes, both machines have ATI video cards (Rage IIc in one and
Rage 128 Pro in the other).  Is there any way to convince NetBSD to
replace the font in font slot 0?  I wouldn't mind having ALL my screens
use a 8x8 font.

Any idea what aspect of the design of wscons prevents it from coping with
the Rage?  Fonts used to work fine with PCVT.

Thanks,
	Rick