Subject: Re: tested the 1.5.1_BETA snapshot on a laptop.. with problems
To: John Hawkinson <jhawk@MIT.EDU>
From: Tim Rightnour <root@garbled.net>
List: current-users
Date: 04/17/2001 11:27:13
On 16-Apr-01 John Hawkinson wrote:
> What's the laptop, how old is it, and what are the conflicts?

It's a compaq armada.. old 8000 series..  possibly a 486en.

I think The magic that made it work in 1.5ALPHA was for the 10bit wide stuff,
ie, 0x300-0x3ff.  The laptop kernel did much better in overall probing on this
laptop.. the generic kernel found all kinds of devices that didn't exist, while
the laptop kernel probed it all correctly.  Too bad it didn't work.  ;(

>| The kern-laptop kernel, while probing all the pcmcia stuff correctly, and
>| not
>| having any quirks in that department, would loop forever trying to downgrade
>| the pciide from DMA to PIO mode 4.
>
> This doesn't sound normal at all (or consistent with a pcic address
> conflict). Can you provide more data, such as traces or
> something?

Yes..  but not until friday unfortunately..  I'll CC the owner of this
particular laptop, and see if he wants to post dmesg from the GENERIC 1.5.1BETA
kernel.  (Doug, the various kernels are in /usr/distrib, kern.tgz and
kern-laptop.tgz, just copy them to /netbsd1 and manually boot them)

>| I can config a kernel to get around this.. but thought someone should be
>| made
>| aware of it.
>
> yes. A PR would be best, though.

True.. though I just wanted to make it known.. preferrably before the release..
seeing as I can't really get good data on it until this weekend.

---
Tim Rightnour <root@garbled.net>
NetBSD supported hardware database: http://mail-index.netbsd.org/cgi-bin/hw.cgi