Subject: Re: Bad things with NetBSD and IP
To: Mike Pelley <mike@pelley.com>
From: Andrew Brown <atatat@atatdot.net>
List: current-users
Date: 04/13/2001 21:30:04
>> > (-D because -f is already taken)
>>
>> Certainly looks like a good thing to have :)
>> Does anyone know if there is prior art for the choice of
>> option letter in any other OS?
>
>FreeBSD seems to use arp -d -a.  Don't know if I like that, but it's prior
>art.

hmm...good point.  but does it have to be "-d -a" or will "-a -d" work
as well?  the problem with options *maybe* requiring arguments is a
hairy one.  as it stands, the following are all acceptable behaviors:

arp -a -n		(whereas solaris insists that the -n be first)
arp -nnnnavvvvv		(redundant to the point of absurdity, but works)
arp -nnnnvvvd foo	(also redundant)
arp -dnnvvnv bar	(sort of strange, but -d does *not* require an arg)

and there's also the undocumented

arp -d foo pro		("pro" is a magic string...something to do with proxy)
arp -d foo prophylactic	(only the first three characters are checked)

i guess deleting the host "-a" could also be magic, but would also be
"strange" (see above) since "arp -a -d" would most definitely not work
as it currently does.

maybe arp should be rototilled.

--
|-----< "CODE WARRIOR" >-----|