Subject: Re: Bad things with NetBSD and IP
To: gabriel rosenkoetter <>
From: Andrew Brown <>
List: current-users
Date: 04/13/2001 15:43:52
>> # arp -na | awk '{gsub("[()]","",$2);print$2}' | xargs -n1 arp -vd
>> for something less shell-centric.
>I always forget xargs exists...

i only started using it at all about a year ago.  prior to that i
would have done something like

# foreach i (`arp -na | awk '{gsub("[()]","",$2);print$2}'`)
> arp -vd $i
> end

but that's because i use tcsh.

>> for arp(8), i add the -D option with the attached patch.  anyone mind
>> if it gets committed?
>> (-D because -f is already taken)
>I'm not really in a position to say yea or nay to the patch (I'm not
>familiar with arp internals), but I'd say definitely send-pr it. may not be, but someone else might think it's good.  :)

it's a pretty straight forward rip of dump that just calls delete
instead of looking for matches or printing anything.

>(-D seems sensible to me as well, as long as the man page is also
>updated clearly.)

also in the patch.  :)