Subject: Bad things with NetBSD and IP
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Gerald C. Simmons <simmons@darykon.cet.com>
List: current-users
Date: 04/12/2001 13:46:14
I think I just went through a bout where NetBSD's IP got thoroughly confused (or something did, and not just me!)

I have a feeling Layer 2 of the OSI model bit me.  I was unconnecting and re-connecting various 10Base-T connections to
my NetBSD box, when I ran into the situation that eventually the NetBSD box stopped communicating with several of
these links. What was wierd was I could ping these devices, but complex IP protocols would fail. A reboot didn't even
help. I had to disable IP Filtering, IP NAT, and Auto-Configure in rc.conf, then re-boot the system. Then re-enabled
everything and re-boot again to get everything to communicate.

Is there some unwritten IP/Ethernet rule that says you shouldn't be connecting things with non-unique IP addresses,
but with unique Ethernet addresses back and forth??? I never had two devices with the same IP connected to the NetBSD
box at the same time, but it didn't seem to help.

Gerry Simmons
simmons@darykon.cet.com