Subject: Re: What happens when the floppy's too big?
To: , <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Xavier HUMBERT <xavier@xavhome.fr.eu.org>
List: current-users
Date: 04/10/2001 08:20:41
In message <B6F80853.7B3F%ctribo@del.net>,
Chris Tribo wrote:

>And in reality, OFW 3.x users *shouldn't* be booting boot.fs anyway. As
>to why they continue doing this with a nearly weekly frequency, and
>then posting on port-macppc that their keyboards don't work after
>booting, is beyond me. Do we need a 255 point font banner that says
>this is for machines with built-in floppies only, maybe put a banner
>at boot in the kernel "There is no USB support in this kernel, use
>netbsd.RAM.gz instead"?

Sorry to disagree : on my G4, I triad many combinations of ofwboot.elf,
and netbsd.RAM.gz (gzipped, de-zipped, renamed, prefixed by "hd:,", by
"hd:N,", by nothing) with no success, ofwboot simply won't load it, and
keeps asking for a kernel.

OTOH, boot.fs loads and boots like a charm, the original 1.5 do have USB
support (but not gm0 ethernet device), and only with that, I was able to
install my G4

No that the machine is installed, I can have another try without
breaking the thing, but I doubt.

--
Xavier HUMBERT  -  Systemes et Reseaux     |     labo-info@injep.fr
INJEP                                      |     humbert@injep.fr