Subject: Re: PCMCIA ne buffer overruns.
To: Chris Pinnock <cjep@fawlty.net>
From: Frank van der Linden <fvdl@wasabisystems.com>
List: current-users
Date: 04/10/2001 20:09:43
On Tue, Apr 10, 2001 at 02:40:44PM +0100, Chris Pinnock wrote:
> My D-link PCMCIA card (ne) seems to suffer from buffer overruns when
> there is a lot of network activity.
>
> I've tried exchanging the card with another and the same thing happens.
>
> A tcpdump is sufficient to get
>
> /netbsd: ne0: warning - receiver ring buffer overrun

The poor card does not seem to be able to keep up with the traffic.
For NFS, you can alleviate the problem by reducing the read (and
possibly write) size, using the -r and -w options to mount_nfs.
Or compile NFS_WSIZE and NFS_RSIZE as option in your kernel.

However, for normal traffic, there isn't that much you can do,
except perhaps improve the driver.

- Frank

--
Frank van der Linden                           fvdl@wasabisystems.com