Subject: Re: is this critical?
To: None <>
From: Brad Spencer <>
List: current-users
Date: 04/10/2001 18:46:31
   Manuel Bouyer drunkenly mumbled...
   > Either your HD is failing, or the filesystem on the disk is corrupted.
   > In the first case you should have error messages on console.

   since i don't babysit my console, i didn't see this until .mrg. pointed out
   the very same thing, and yes:

   sd1(esp0:3:0):  Check Condition on CDB: 0x08 1c dd 60 10 00
       SENSE KEY:  Media Error
      INFO FIELD:  1891681
	ASC/ASCQ:  Unrecovered Read Error

   looks like it's time to find  new disk for this thing.  although it is /var/log
   so maybe i'll just run it until it up and dies.  who needs logs anyway ;0

A low level format of the device may recover the drive.  Certainly trying
that won't hurt, if you think that you may have to replace the disk

I did this to a 18GB Seagate recently with great success.  A 1GB Seagate,
also suffering problems, didn't recover.

The scsictl in NetBSD will let you try this.

Brad Spencer -  - & - [IPv6 only]
[finger for PGP public key]