Subject: Re: package patch FAQ
To: Andrey Petrov <and@genesyslab.com>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: current-users
Date: 04/02/2001 18:37:31
On Mon, 2 Apr 2001, Andrey Petrov wrote:

> This must be FAQ I just can't find it;-)
>
> I'd like to create patch for existing package and need some guidance.
> Any pointers appreciated.

Some information about packages and pkgsrc can be found in
/usr/pkgsrc/Packages.txt and packages(7) manual page.

Basically, the pkgsrc mechanism applies the patches from the
pkgsrc/CATEGORY/PACKAGE/patches/ directory.

An easy way to try your own is to copy the entire pkgsrc for the one
package to a new /usr/pkgsrc/new/ directory. And then modify or add the
patches as needed to the patches directory. Then run "make".

You can also share your idea via send-pr.

It is also usually important to share the patches back to the original
source maintainer (not pkgsrc maintainer), if applicable.

Hope this helps,

   Jeremy C. Reed
   http://www.reedmedia.net/