Subject: Re: root login message
To: Tyrel Beede <tb90@mail.csuchico.edu>
From: Simon Burge <simonb@wasabisystems.com>
List: current-users
Date: 03/31/2001 13:55:07
Tyrel Beede wrote:

> I understand the importance of the message which is broadcast throughout
> the system apon the login of the root user, and I also understand the
> importance of non-root accounts.  However, I often find myself logging
> in as root and the resulting message(ROOT LOGIN @ somewhere) is
> broadcast throughout leading to annoying clutter on my lynx and vi
> sessions.  I'm hoping that somebody might be able to tell me what is
> generating it.  I've looked around but I was unable to find it's source.

syslogd(8) is sending those messages to the console.  You'll have a line
something like

	*.err;kern.*;auth.notice;authpriv.none;mail.crit        /dev/console

in your /etc/syslog.conf.  If you changed the "auth.notice" to
"auth.warning" you'd still get some of the more critical messages
from login(1).  All of the login(1) messages will still be put in
/var/log/authlog as per the line

	auth,authpriv.info                                      /var/log/authlog

Simon.
NetBSD CDs, Support and Service:    http://www.wasabisystems.com/