Subject: Re: iy driver and Full Duplex
To: Jared D . McNeill <jmcneill@invisible.yi.org>
From: Ignatios Souvatzis <is@netbsd.org>
List: current-users
Date: 03/26/2001 07:13:28
On Sun, Mar 25, 2001 at 09:05:37PM -0400, Jared D . McNeill wrote:
> Is anybody working on Full Duplex support for the iy driver? I have an Intel
> EtherExpress Pro/10+ ISA ethernet card, and according to the following URL
> the cards support Full Duplex:
>
>   http://www.intel.com/network/tech_specs/pro10lan.htm
>
> The iy man page doesn't mention full duplex, and 'ifconfig iy0 media
> 10baseT-FDX' fails as well.

right.

> The card:
> iy0 at isa0 port 0x360-0x36f irq 11: address 00:aa:00:a2:85:b7, rev. 1, 32 kB

Strange. Thats the same chip revision I have. Are you sure you have the
Etherexpress Pro 10+, and not the Etherexpress Pro? (I thought that the
Pro 10+ is their next chipset, different from the Pro (which again is
different from the plain Etherexpress).

Anyway, your card is one that is driven by the if_iy driver, with the i82595
chip. The story is this: the _chip_ documentation doesn't mention full duplex
mode at all, that's why I didn't implement it (yet?).

However, it does mention several loopback modes. One of them (external
loopback) is described as "the chip receives and transmits simulatenously").

Given a willing guinea pig (I understand you volunteer?) I'll write the
necessary code, but I can't test it easily as the only switch available
isn't under my immediate control. (That is, I can test it ceases to work
when I switch FDX on, but can't find out whether that is because it works
in FDX mode).

Regards,
	Ignatios