Subject: Re: What happens when the floppy's too big?
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org, port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: gabriel rosenkoetter <gr@eclipsed.net>
List: current-users
Date: 03/23/2001 13:14:08
On Fri, Mar 23, 2001 at 01:35:15AM -0500, gabriel rosenkoetter wrote:
> I'll try pulling VERBOSE_ and sound stuff out of the kernel config
> tomorrow in the interest of getting a new snapshot out.

Unfortunately, that kernel config is already profoundly trimmed
down.

There is no VERBOSE included in the INSTALL kernel as it stands, and
only COMPAT_14 and COMPAT_43. (I'm not too sure why the latter's
there, but I'm loathe to mess with it.) There also doesn't seem to
be anything compiled in for awacs, eap, or uaudio (I think those are
the only audio devices which work on any macppc machine).

Xavier Humbert (xavier@xavhome.fr.eu.org) suggests stripping out
NFS, but I don't think this is an option for a boot floppy to be
distributed from the ftp site, since, as I recall, we strongly
recommend using NFS to install and boot certain macppc machines.

There is, however, support for usb devices all over the kernel, yet
I know of no pre-OF 3 machine that shipped with included usb, nor
any post-OF 3 machine that shipped with a floppy drive. Would
dropping usb support from the install floppy kernel be too
horrendous?

I'm going to do that for now, so that the snapshot can finish (I
hope). We can always fix up the floppy file (or add others) later.

       ~ g r @ eclipsed.net