Subject: Re: Alcatel USB ADSL modem driver for linux released
To: skrll@netbsd.org, David Brownlee <abs@netbsd.org>
From: Chris Gilbert <chris@paradox.demon.co.uk>
List: current-users
Date: 03/23/2001 11:00:20
On Thursday 22 March 2001 11:01 am, Nick Hudson wrote:
> On Thu, 22 Mar 2001 10:53:21 +0000 (GMT), David Brownlee wrote:
> >  	Kernel section can be downloaded from
> >  	http://www.alcatel.com/consumer/dsl/tgz.htm
> >
> >  	Is there anyone interested in getting the modem working
> >  	under NetBSD? :)
>
> I'd love to see this... I'll do as much as I can to help.

I'd like to see it as well and I would offer to help but I don't have the
time at the moment.

On a first look over the downloads (once you fight all the you've not got
flash popup windows :), it appears that they've done a Linux Kernel driver,
under GPL, It requires:
	ATM support (which I think we've got, but I don't know anything about atm to
say for sure)
	pppoe, which pkgsrc/net/rp-pppoe should work (and it's the recommended one)
	sarlib, (http://sarlib.sourceforge.net/) seems to be something to do ATM
cells (whatever they are :)

Then they've provided a management utility, to do with hotplugging the modem
in I think, however I'm wondering if it provides other functionality, eg
uploads something to the modem (or am I just being cynical)?

Chris