Subject: Re: hard lockups with -current and Netscape
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: None <dokas@cs.umn.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 03/20/2001 13:21:22
On Tue, Mar 20, 2001 at 06:52:46AM -0500, D'Arcy J.M. Cain wrote:
> Thus spake Paul Dokas
> > I've been experiencing random lockups on two of my NetBSD machines.
> > They're both running -current, one from 03/16 and the other from 03/18.
> > One is a Gateway laptop (PII 366MHz) and the other is a Pentium 133.
> >

> > Strangely, the only sure fire way of getting these machines to hang, at
> > least that I've found, is to run Netscape:
>
> I get the same problem running Opera.  It seems to be in the Linux emulation.

Hmmm, interesting.  I'll have to try out some other Linux binaries and
see if they cause lockups.

<time passes>

Well, I've been attempting to get my laptop to hang in such a way that I
could capture any panic message.  But I've had no success...  I guess
that I'm going to have to force the console to a serial port to figure
out what's going on.

What I've done is drop back to the console (ttyE00) and then login
remotely and run Netscape and a bunch of other stuff to create load
(sup, scp, etc, etc)   But I can't get it to hang.

However, after giving up and just firing up Netscape under X, it locks...
<sigh>

I do believe that the problem lies somewhere in the Linux emulation.  I
haven't been able to get it to die in any other way.  I'll play some more
and see what I can figure out.

Paul
--
Paul Dokas                                            dokas@cs.umn.edu
Don Juan Matus:  "an enigma wrapped in mystery wrapped in a tortilla."