Subject: hard lockups with -current and Netscape
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Paul Dokas <dokas@cs.umn.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 03/19/2001 23:15:50
I've been experiencing random lockups on two of my NetBSD machines.
They're both running -current, one from 03/16 and the other from 03/18.
One is a Gateway laptop (PII 366MHz) and the other is a Pentium 133.

Strangely, the only sure fire way of getting these machines to hang, at
least that I've found, is to run Netscape:

  /usr/pkg/bin/communicator -install

this is from the communicator-4.76 packages.

It comes up with the initial display showing a bunch of company logos
and then hanges *immediately* after it attempts to grab anything off
of the web, like http://www.slashdot.org/

There are no messages on the screen and nothing left in the logs, just
a totally unresponsive computer that requires a power cycle.

This has happened about 5 times now.  And, as I mentioned, I seem to be
able to reproduce it by running Netscape.

BTW, if anyone wants to help debug this, and you're at the IETF meeting,
I'll be volunteering in the terminal room Wednesday and possibly tomorrow.
I'd be glad to demonstrate what's going on.

And speaking of the IETF meeting, anyone want to have a NetBSD dinner
on wednesday night?  I can recommend some restaurants and provide
transportation for 3 or possibly 4 people.

Paul
--
Paul Dokas                                            dokas@cs.umn.edu
Don Juan Matus:  "an enigma wrapped in mystery wrapped in a tortilla."