Subject: Re: CD Writer failure
To: Dave Burgess <burgess@cynjut.neonramp.com>
From: SUNAGAWA Keiki <Keiki_SUNAGAWA@yokogawa.co.jp>
List: current-users
Date: 03/14/2001 10:21:44
Dave Burgess <burgess@cynjut.neonramp.com> wrote:

>> Well, I have no idea what's going on here, but rebuilding
>> cdrecord with SONY_DEBUG defined in cdrecord/drv_sony.c
>> would help some?

Dave> Not really - SONY_DEBUG has been defined for the last
Dave> 20 or 30 tries.

Hmm, that's too bad.

Dave> I'm willing to bet that it is a problem in the 'fake'
Dave> disklabel in the kernel is either bogus or the OS is
Dave> not handling the CD ROM correctly.  When the disk has
Dave> a real 'available' amount, or when the CD-ROM has no
Dave> room left (as in a pressed CD) the system processes
Dave> the request correctly.

You might want to look at the difference between 1.3 and 1.4
of the CD-ROM handling code.  I guess we have some troubles
with drives that change the result to the inquiry command in
the status of the media tray.  e.g. medium type, empty, etc.

Dave> I've been looking at the kernel code, but I'm not
Dave> familiar enoght with the code yet to be able to tell
Dave> what should be happening.

/sys/dev/scsipi/scsiconf.c has quirk list of several SONY
drives, but it doesn't seem to be related to the problem.

--
SUNAGAWA Keiki <Keiki_SUNAGAWA@yokogawa.co.jp>