Subject: Re: Undefined symbols using kde package from 1.5?
To: Frederick Bruckman <>
From: Scott Presnell <>
List: current-users
Date: 03/12/2001 10:39:06
Frederick Bruckman wrote:
> On Sat, 10 Mar 2001, Thomas Klausner wrote:
> > Mutt made me believe that Scott Presnell wrote:
> > > Is this a mismatch between the package system and the XFree86
> > > 4.0.2 release? Short of rebuilding the kde packages, is there
> > > something I'm missing here?
> >
> > I'm pretty sure the binary packages on are built with
> > XFree 3.3.x, so you'll have to rebuild kde (and other programs
> > depending on X) from source.
> Rebuilding may or may not fix it. The problem looks like some kind of
> g++/linker goof. It's unlikely that the 3.3.x libraries really have
> those __virtual_blah__ symbols that aren't present in 4.0.2. When I
> experimented with 4.0.1, I noticed that only one shared library got a
> minor version increment, and gnome and everything still worked fine

So after a little digging I could see that linux folks were having the
same/similar problem and had narrowed it down to a mismatch between
the qt 1.4x libraries and the kde core libs.

I pulled down the pkgsrc tar ball and started building the packages.
I temporarily ran into trouble with qwspritelib, but apparently that
was fixed over the weekend.

I now have rebuilt qt, kdelibs, and kdebase, and it seems to be going

Perhaps the prebuilt versions of the kde packages should be rebuilt
in the environment of qt 1.44?

	- Scott