Subject: Re: disk write instrumentation
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Laine Stump <lainestump@rcn.com>
List: current-users
Date: 03/10/2001 16:31:52
Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com> writes:

> I've had this problm on a laptop recently where I've been trying to keep
> the disk spun down.

The problem I've noticed is that *sometimes* (but not always) my disk
will get into a mode of spin down after only a few seconds of no
activity. This creates a situation where it is starting and stopping
constantly, which I'm sure can't be good for the disk. At other times,
I boot the machine and the disk spins for several minutes after
activity seeks. (I don't know what it was like "before" because I only
installed NetBSD on this machine (a Stinkpad 600) shortly before the
1.5 release (I'm running -current from a couple weeks ago right now).