Subject: disk write instrumentation
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Wolfgang Rupprecht <wolfgang@wsrcc.com>
List: current-users
Date: 03/10/2001 11:27:23
Is there an easy way to instrument disk IO in -current so one can tell
who is writing what?

I just put a new disk into my laptop.  Even though the new disk is
slightly lower power, it manages to put all that energy into acoustic
radiation.  The disk-seeks are annoyingly loud.

I've already turned on "noatime, nodevmtime, softdeps" and I still get
a some disk io every few minutes.  I'm not running whois or anything
inherently noisy like that, but I do have cron, syslog, ntpd, amd,
Xdm.  How do I find the villian short of exhaustive search by killing
one daemon at a time?

-wolfgang
--
       Wolfgang Rupprecht <wolfgang+gnus@dailyplanet.wsrcc.com>