Subject: Re: Removing old libraries after an upgrade
To: Jared D. McNeill <>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <>
List: current-users
Date: 03/05/2001 10:08:28
On Mon, 5 Mar 2001, Jared D. McNeill wrote:

> I just came up with a script to get a list of all old libraries -- anybody
> care to comment on it? It seems to work for me..

I did a "ls -lut" and I could see that my system uses both
and -- okay your script shows these two.

I also use both and, but your script
only showed one. Also, I use two libz's and, but
your script only showed one.

Your script also didn't show some other libraries that I use like,, ...

> Is there anyway to write a quick script to get rid of old versions of
> libraries? It's getting rediculous:

What about old libraries that are still used?

What if you built and installed some libraries that were put in /usr/lib?

I think the best way to check is to look at the last access time of the
libraries and also write a script that looks at all the system's
executables to see what libraries they use.

   Jeremy C. Reed