Subject: Re: data corruption using gzip
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Joseph Sarkes <jsarkes@tiac.net>
List: current-users
Date: 03/02/2001 00:34:32

> It's miscfs/genfs/genfs_vnops.c
>
> Try updating it to the latest version.

I have done so. Unfortunately, I am still having
problems, using bzip2 also. Apparently I have some
type of hardware problem that manifests itself
under a tar -czf whatever.gz src doc pkgsrc xsrc

I seem to be able to copy large files without any
corruption, but compression messes up.

I am not certain though whether it is a disk or
memory error, or even maybe a faulty cpu. Does
anyone know of any diagnostic suite that will help
to locate the problem? Another possibility would
be to replace this relatively new system. What is
a STABLE new motherboard? Preferably with parity
memory. (the asus A7V needs unregistered parity
memory, which I have never been able to find)
I will relegate this system to use under windows
or something if I can't get it troubleshot.

There was talk a month or two ago about a memory
test program (not the linux memtest prog). Did
that ever surface?

--
Joseph Sarkes		jsarkes@tiac.net