Subject: "Bad address" reading files (was Re: Problems with very large files?)
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Dave Huang <khym@azeotrope.org>
List: current-users
Date: 02/25/2001 19:10:34
On Sun, 25 Feb 2001, Jarom=EDr Dolecek wrote:
> This is one of remaining issues with UBC on -current IIRC.
> It's definitely a known bug.

Oh, okay :) Not a big problem... a mostly unrelated question though: The
file is an image of a friend's hard drive that Windows (or something)
managed to corrupt. I fixed up the BPB in the boot sector, vnconfiged
it, and mounted the partition (it's a FAT32 partition), then copied what
I could off of it. Most of the files copied fine, but a few give me a
"Bad address" error. For example:

yerfable /tmp# ktrace cat /mnt/SLSLO
cat: /mnt/SLSLO: Bad address
yerfable /tmp# kdump
[ stuff deleted ]
 14609 cat      CALL  read(0x3,0x120118000,0x10000)
 14609 cat      RET   read -1 errno 14 Bad address

I'm guessing the FAT entry for that file is corrupt? Or is this possibly
related to the UBC bug? ("Bad address" does seem like an unusual error
for a filesystem to give... but then, it is a vnd rather than an actual
disk).