Subject: Re: ""hardware-like" problems
To: Feico Dillema <feico@pasta.cs.uit.no>
From: Laine Stump <lainestump@rcn.com>
List: current-users
Date: 02/23/2001 12:37:05
Feico Dillema <feico@pasta.cs.uit.no> writes:

> Just a tip from own painful experience: Is your processor fan still in
> proper working order?

Yep. I've had that painful experience too. This time I chose to have
the painful experience of determining if the fan was still running by
poking my finger into it! (it's dark under the table, and I couldn't
tell if there was a breeze or not).

My system is quite well cooled; aside from the fact that it's winter
here and my office is the coldest room in the house, I have an extra 4
inch box fan on the front that shoots air in past the hard drives. I
did a cursory check of surface temperature, and neither the CPU (PII
450) nor the RAM seems overly warm. Also, I removed the cover and left
it off last night, and this didn't help anything.

This machine has been very stable since I bought it just over 2 years
ago. Maybe its time has just come. I guess first I'll try reseating
parts and such, then I'll see about restoring an older version of the
OS (I think I have something fairly close to 1.5), or putting this
disk into another machine I have.