Subject: Re: Strange/weird '*fs' effects in -current (1.5Q till now)
To: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
From: John Franklin <franklin@elfie.org>
List: current-users
Date: 02/20/2001 16:09:21
On Tue, Feb 20, 2001 at 12:14:06PM -0800, Greywolf wrote:
> On Tue, 20 Feb 2001, Markus W Kilbinger wrote:
> # Hi Jaromír,
> #
> #     Jaromír> there have been couple of fs fixes recently, including
> #     Jaromír> some nfs fixes. You might try to update your kernel,
> #     Jaromír> maybe it would help.
>
> #
> # that's what I did daily until some minutes ago: No change, the same
> # strange/weird misbehavior all the time, and that for several weeks,
> # now. (So, I hesitated some time before writing this mail, still hoping
> # due to all the *fs changes...)
>
> <aol>Yeah, same here</aol>
>
> I find it doesn't seem to occur if you turn off softdeps on the UFS
> of the thing you're NFS mounting.

I've actually gotten panics from the kernel.  Here's how, in a nutshel:

Server: NetBSD/i386, UFS with softdep:
	NetBSD riff 1.5S NetBSD 1.5S (RIFF) #0: Tue Feb 20 13:15:43 EST 2001
Client: Red Hat Linux (2.2.18)

On the RHL box, I attempt to compile the software I'm working on and before
it gets through many files it panics.  The panic was in a softdep function,
but I don't remember which. (sorry).  Turning off softdep has cured the
panics.

jf
--
John Franklin