Subject: Re: rlogin problem...
To: Andrew Ambrose <>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <>
List: current-users
Date: 02/20/2001 13:08:46
On Tue, 20 Feb 2001, Andrew Ambrose wrote:

> I am trying to rlogin as root.  Its giving me a connection refused error..
> I am able to telnet and login as root..

telnet is not rlogin.

> any idea what I need to change to rlogin as root...

If you choose to use rlogin, make sure rlogin in enabled (uncommented and
inetd reloaded) in /etc/inetd.conf.

Since you specifically mentioned "root". You may want to look at the
rhosts(5) manual page.

(On a side note: rlogin will transfer your data and authentication
information in plain text. Depending on your network and configurations,
some other users may be able to "sniff" this traffic.)

   Jeremy C. Reed