Subject: Re: intel 82815 chipset...
To: Alistair Crooks <agc@pkgsrc.org>
From: Giles Lean <giles@nemeton.com.au>
List: current-users
Date: 02/20/2001 15:08:34
> 	ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/misc/agc/agpgart.?
>
> has the agpgart mods to make it work on 815s. Now if I could just find
> my X server mods...

Hi Alistair,

Very helpful -- thanks.  My desktop machine's video card died, so I
pulled a server out of the cupboard and (except for the noise -- my
desktop machine should be diskless!) am happy again.

For the benefit of other lurkers and the mail archives, here are the
steps I used to configure this.

0. (a) install agpgart.o in /usr/lkm
   (b) copy XF86_SVGA.i180 to /usr/X11R6/bin and make it executable
   (c) link /usr/X11R6/bin/X to /usr/X11R6/bin/F86_SVGA.i380

1. Set lkm=YES in /etc/rc.conf if it is not already, and add agpgart.o
   to /etc/lkm.conf:

       agpgart.o - - /usr/local/sbin/mkdev_agpgart - AFTERMOUNT

   After rebooting, this message shows in dmesg:

   NetBSD AGP GART interface v0.03 (c) Jeff Hartmann
   -- Experimental distribution, only i810 enabled
   Got pages for a 64 megabyte mapping for the agp aperature.
   i810_configure

2. Create a postinstall script to be called from modload via
   /etc/lkm.conf to create /dev/agpgart.  Until this is done starting
   X will fail because /dev/agpgart doesn't exist:

       (--) SVGA: Stat failed on /dev/agpgart: No such file or directory

       Fatal server error:
       couldn't get memory from gart module,
       and I810_UNSUPPORTED_GTT_FALLBACK not set.

   The script:

       #! /bin/sh
       # Called by modload(8) after loading agpgart.o
       rm -f /dev/agpgart
       mknod /dev/agpgart c $3 0

Regards,

Giles