Subject: Re: found a bug in dhclient
To: Laine Stump <lainestump@rcn.com>
From: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
List: current-users
Date: 02/19/2001 15:31:28
On Fri, Feb 16, 2001 at 12:15:41AM -0500, Laine Stump wrote:
> (I just filed a PR about this but don't know how closely those are
> followed on a day-to-day basis by the relevant parties (hi Ted!)...
>
> RCN installed a new DOCSIS-compliant cable modem today, and I started
> having to deal with some new DHCP server on their network which was
> reliably coredumping the dhclient in -current. I tracked this down to
> two causes, both tickled by this new server sending an option 82
> "relay-agent-information".

It is *illegal* per the relevant standards for the DHCP response that
reaches your modem to contain the relay agent information option.  It
is amusing to note that this hoses the Win2k dhclient, too.

RCN is very much aware of this problem, but Cisco, who make the DOCSIS
headend gear they use, have refused to make fixing it a priority (yay,
Cisco!).  Curiously, it does *not* crash dhclient on my machine.  (Ted
noticed it while helping me debug a separate problem with RCN's DHCP
servers a few months ago; that problem was caused, actually, by my
overly restrictive ipf rules only allowing broadcast DHCP queries out).
I wonder what's different in my configuration from yours!

    And now he couldn't remember when this passion had flown, leaving him so
  foolish and bewildered and astray: can any man?
						   William Styron