Subject: Re: Processes getting stuck in disk wait on current currents
To: Mark Davies <mark@MCS.VUW.AC.NZ>
From: Wayne Knowles <wdk@frc.niwa.cri.nz>
List: current-users
Date: 02/17/2001 23:30:49
On Thu, 15 Feb 2001, Mark Davies wrote:

> > We can repeatedly get pax to hang like this during an install using boot
> > floppies from a release built from feb 9 sources or from todays source.
>
> and ps shows pax is waiting on "uvn_fp2" and as you would expect there are few
> other processes running (sysinst and some kernel processes)

Hi Mark,

Ditto.   Occurs every time sysinst is extracting binaries with "pax".

As with you the pax process is sleeping on a "uvn_fp2" lock which never
occurs.  This is on a different platform (Mips R3000) and after several
tries it always fails waiting for the same lock.

On my system trace from DDB gave good data - basically the system
is healthy and sitting in the idle loop, no interrupts masked, pingable on
the network etc.

Have rolled the kernel back to 25 Janurary and the problem disappears.  A
number of VM changes were made around the 28th which may be the cause.

My next step is to try and get closer to the date the problem was
introduced - unfortunately that can be a time consuming process!

Wayne
--
  _____	   	Wayne Knowles,  Systems Manager
 / o   \/   	National Institute of Water & Atmospheric Research Ltd