Subject: Re: XFree86 4.0.* palette unfriendliness
To: Ken Hornstein <kenh@cmf.nrl.navy.mil>
From: David Brownlee <abs@netbsd.org>
List: current-users
Date: 02/16/2001 23:57:09
On Fri, 16 Feb 2001, Ken Hornstein wrote:

> >> Now, it seems to me that on panic you _might_ be able to invoke the
> >> INT10 BIOS extension that XFree86 uses to reset secondary video cards
> >> and be able to get back to text mode ... but of course, you could never
> >> continue from DDB when you've done that.  But ... "might be useful".
> >
> >	Would you be able to continue on a text console?
> >	Would it be feasible to implement something that would reset
> >	the card then either cause the X server to exit when you resumed,
> >	or somehow get it to reset the card back to graphical mode (as
> >	if it was resuming from a text console).
>
> If that's useful ... but I'm not sure how useful it is.  We're talking
> about switching back to text mode on a crash, right?  It's not like you're
> going to be continuing after that happens ...

	You might want to drop into DDB, then continue. I agree that
	getting the console into text is much more important than being
	able to get in back into graphics, but it would be very nice to
	be able to drop into DDB, then get back into X (particularly if
	someone hits the key sequence by accident :)

		David/absolute		-- www.netbsd.org: No hype required --