Subject: NetBSD's CVS usage
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Jay Maynard <jmaynard@conmicro.cx>
List: current-users
Date: 02/16/2001 13:07:14
I'm the maintainer of an open-source emulator for the IBM 370/390/z/Series
mainframes that runs on Linux and (well, sort of) BSD and (well, sort of)
Windows called Hercules (see http://www.conmicro.cx/hercules if you're
interested). The project is getting big enough to where keeping things
straight is a nightmare, and I'm proposing adoption of CVS to help out.

I like the way the NetBSD current and release strategy works, and would like
to adopt it (if not in every detail, at least in philosophy). Can someone
describe how this is managed through CVS? In particular, what's done to take
the current tree and turn it into a release, at the appropriate point?
What's done to pull up a fix into the release?

I'm grabbing the docs I can find, and reading them, but some real-world
examples would help a lot, too.