Subject: Re: Lucent Wavelan / Cisco Aironet WEP
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Martin J. Laubach <mjl@emsi.priv.at>
List: current-users
Date: 02/10/2001 20:43:32
| Last I knew, the "128"-bit (really "104 bit") WEP was not
| standardized; I wouldn't be shocked to learn that Lucent and Cisco did
| it ever so slightly differently.

  Okay. As an aside, how does one switch the Lucent card to
(standardized) 40-bit WEP? There is no switch for it in wiconfig,
so does it trigger on the length of the key?

| Because of incompetant crypto protocol design, 104-bit WEP is not
| appreciably stronger than 40-bit WEP.  WEP is probably best suited for
| keeping casual browsers from accidentally associating with one of your
| access points...

  Right, that's the point to just have the neighbor not using your
bandwidth, not because it has to be ultra-secure. I just bought the
gold card "in case" I have to use it somewhere that actually uses
104-bit WEP.

	mjl